Great article from speedtest.net, even at over a year old the information is very relevant.
Thursday, February 11, 2016
These ideas can be used for anyone in the home! I love the idea of assigning priority to devices!
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
WHAT DEVICES AT HOME USE DATA?
From computers and tablets, to TVs, Personal Video Recorders, gaming systems and more - they can all be connected to data, running updates or backing up to the cloud without you doing anything. When you add to that other activities like browsing, Skype or FaceTime - you can use your data allowance pretty quickly.
HELPFUL WAYS TO CONTROL YOUR DATA USAGE:
- Regularly check for viruses; they can eat into your data allowance
- Stop videos from playing automatically within apps or websites (e.g. like how videos auto play in your Facebook news feed)
- Remove or limit the use of browser 'extensions' or 'add-ons'
- Don't use file sharing/torrent sites
- Keep your web browser software up to date
- Keep your operating system up to date
- Delete apps you don't use (to avoid unnecessary updates)
- If using cloud services (for backup or sharing) keep in mind the size of the files being sent.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi network is secured so no one can access it without your permission
- Secure your computer with a password
- Ensure you activate a firewall to prevent unauthorized connections to your computer
- If you're going away for an extended period, switch your modem/router and your computer off
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Here is an article from pcmag.com that has this years best of the best for security. It's gone so far beyond antivirus and spyware now, there are more ways than ever that scammers are getting into our information. I mean, have you even heard of ransonware? This is crazy the stuff they have come up with!